Finalists announced for everywoman in Technology Awards
Awards aim to showcase the diversity of jobs within the IT industry
The UK's largest female business community, everywoman, has announced the finalists in the 2013 FDM everywoman in Technology Awards, which celebrates the successes of the women leading the way in the profession.
In the UK, women make up just 17 percent of technology professionals, according to figures from e-skills, the sector skills council for the IT industry. This is often attributed to a lack of awareness of the diversity and opportunity that the profession offers.
In reality, roles within the technology industry range from hands-on computer programming, to communications, to team leadership. The everywoman in Technology Awards aims to showcase this diversity in order to inspire younger women and girls to consider a career in IT.
Related Articles on Techworld
The 2013 finalists are as follows:
Entrepreneur of the Year – sponsored by Alcatel-Lucent
- Kathryn Parsons, Founder, Decoded from London
- Jennifer Sheridan, Founder & CEO, Togeva Ltd from London
- Dr Sarah Wood, COO & Founder, Unruly from London
Innovator of the Year – sponsored by The Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Kate Craig-Wood, MD & Owner, Memset Ltd from Guildford
- Joanne Montgomery, Founder & CEO, Little Riot from Newcastle
- Liz Rice, Co-founder, Tank Top TV from London
- Diana Stepner, Head of Future Technologies, Pearson from London
Inspiration of the Year – sponsored by VMware
- Zoe Cunningham, Managing Director, Softwire from London
- Sarah Greasley, Distinguished Engineer and Technical Director, IBM UK Ltd from London
- Deborah Gundle, Founder/Director, Netbuddy from London
- Siân John, Security Strategist, Symantec from London
Leader of the Year in a corporate organisation (with over 500 employees) – sponsored by BP
- Meggy Chung, Lead Infrastructure Partner, Barclays Bank from London
- Lucy Dimes, Chief Executive Officer, UK & Ireland, Alcatel-Lucent from London
- Jayne Showell, Senior Director, Head of Technology Operations, Capital One (Europe) Plc from Solihull
- Maggie van’t Hoff, General Manager Retail IT, Shell from London
Team Leader of the Year in a SME (with under 500 employees) – sponsored by salesforce.com
- Cheryl Diskin, Project Group Manager, Web Applications UK Ltd from Oldham
- Dragana Ljubisavljevic, Managing Director, EMEA, Return Path from London
- Tamara Lohan, Co-founder & CTO, Mr & Mrs Smith from London
- Kay O’Brynne, Consulting Director, CloudSense Ltd from London
Rising Star of the Year – sponsored by Cisco
- Eleni Antoniadou, Co-founder & Chief of Science, Transplants Without Donors from London
- Taylor McGhee, Integrated Supply Chain Specialist Apprentice, IBM UK Ltd from Port Glasgow
- Stacy Morris, UKGI Solutions Delivery - Performance Oversight, Aviva UK from Norwich
- Imogen Wethered, CEO, Qudini from London
The winners – selected by a panel of judges from companies such as VMware, Deloitte, salesforce.com and CA technologies – will be announced at an awards ceremony on Tuesday 19 March at The Savoy in London.
“Once again, the judges have identified a hugely impressive selection of women who are fulfilling their career aspirations through technology,” said Maxine Benson MBE, co-founder of everywoman.
“We want to raise awareness of their achievements and fly the flag for the profession, so that future generations understand the wealth and variety of possibilities offered by technology.”